Insert your supported Android phone into the Samsung Gear VR headset.
- If prompted, eject your phone and proceed to complete the Gear VR installation or upgrade process.
- Launch the Oculus Browser (or the Samsung Internet browser) from the Oculus Lobby.
- Load aframe.io or webvr.rocks.
- Enjoy WebVR content!
- How do I install the Gear VR software on my Android phone?
It’s just plug-and-play! If your Android phone is compatible with Gear VR, simply insert your device into the headset viewer.
The models from 2015–2016 have MicroUSB plugs, although the latest model has a default USB-C plug (i.e., for newer phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S8), but the product box also contains adapters for MicroUSB (for older Android phones that are still compatible with the Gear VR).
Now put the headset on your head. The system will automatically detect if it needs to download and install (or possibly update) the software. (Make sure you’re on a WiFi connection before proceeding.)
- Can I still use the older versions of the Gear VR (models from 2015–2016)?
WebVR is still supported in the initial version of the Gear VR that was released in 2015 model (
SM-R322NZWAXAR) or the earlier 2016 model (
SM-R323NBKAXAR), but it’s recommended that you purchase and use the latest model, the Gear VR with Controller (Galaxy Note8 Edition) (
The latest model has a default USB-C plug, but the product box also contains adapters for MicroUSB (for older Android phones that are still compatible with the Gear VR).
- My controller won’t turn on!
You may find yourself pressing buttons on the controller but the indicator light won’t turn on. The trick is to press-and-hold down the Home button for several seconds.
- How do I pair a new Gear VR controller?
- Ensure your phone is properly set up for VR.
- Insert your phone in the headset, hold the controller in your hand, and wait for the Oculus Lobby to load.
- On the controller, press and hold down on the Home button for several seconds.
- Remove your phone from the Gear VR headset.
There will be a system notification that will take you to the pairing flow. (You can also access this from the Android Settings:
Gear VR Service.)
- Insert your phone back in the Gear VR headset.
- To reorient your position in VR and to turn the controller on later, hold the Home button for several seconds.
- How do I use the Gear VR controller?
You can use the 3DoF motion controller that ships with the latest model of the headset, the Gear VR with Controller (Galaxy Note8 Edition) (
SM-R323NBKAXAR). You can use only one controller per headset, so you can choose to hold the controller in your left or right hand.
Here are the controls:
- My controller position is misplaced in VR. How do I fix this?
While in VR, hold your head still, and then press-and-hold down the Home button for several seconds.